Find us online

 © LaHave Islands Marine Museum Society   Web design by Robert Ylkos

Upcoming Events  


The museum is now closed for the season. It will reopen next June.








Open June 1 to September 1, from 10:00 to 5:00.

S
Mosher's Island West Ironbound Fort Point

The main lighthouse on the LaHave Islands was located on Moshers Island. It has been in operation since 1868 and is still in use today. The first lighthouse on Moshers Island had a fixed red light that could be seen for 8 miles.

Members of the Mosher family ran the lighthouse from its construction in 1868 until 1961 when Melvin Tanner from West Ironbound Island replaced Edward Marshall Mosher. In 1966, the lighthouse became "unwatched" and Ingram Wolfe became the caretaker of the light until 1991.

The old Mosher's Island lighthouse was replaced in 1989 with a new, more modern building. The new light is a round fiberglass tower that shows a white light 24 hours a day.


Year

Keeper

1868-1873

Henry Mosher

1873-1885

D. Mosher

1885-1926

Samuel Mosher

1926-1944

Harry Mosher

1944

Erland Risser

Year

Keeper

1944-1961

Edward Marshall Mosher

1961-1964

Melvin Tanner

1964-1965

Ron McIsaac

1965-1966

Carl Veinotte

1966-1991

Ingram Wolfe

Lighthouse Keepers